Examples of bad and dangerous electrical wiring systems

As a leader in fire damage restoration, MCH is often called to homes that have had an electrical fire. We have seen many dangerous electrical wiring systems that have failed and caused damage to the home. To keep you safe, we have pulled together some of the most common dangerous electrical wiring systems that we see.

General Bad Electrical Wiring

This doesn’t take much explaining! If your fuse box or electrical panel looks anything like this, it is time to call an electrician to get it sorted out. This many wires all over the place is a recipe for disaster.

Open Splice Causes Attic Fire

We came into this home after an electrical fire had occurred and knew immediately what happened. An open air splice in the electrical wiring systems caused a good sized fire in the attic of this home. You can see how the wiring caused this issue in the photos.

Wiring Issue in Ceiling

Wiring issues may not be where you can see them. We found this issue during an installation job, luckily we caught it in time!

Electrical Panel Issues

There can be issues in your electrical panel with the electrical wiring systems. Some are very noticeable while others are not. Here are some examples.

See where my finger is pointing? This is a double tapped 20 amp breaker with #14 and #12 in the same 20 amp circuit. Take a look at your panel and see if this is an issue. This could also be a problem if your breakers are flipping too often.

The wire that I am pointing too is a circuit that was extended from one breaker to feed another circuit elsewhere in the home.

If your panel looks like this, it is definitely time to have it fixed. This was a sub that was fed from a junction that is behind a shower wall!

This electrical panel has all the breakers blown because the it was way, way, way too full! The heat caused all to blow. If you see your electrical panel overloaded like this, it is a hazard.

Other Bad Electrical Wiring Systems

In this bad electrical wiring systems example, the main feeders are jumped with tape.

Check your meter outside of your home. If it is not secured to the home and is pulling away, like in this photo, you need to call an electrician to secure it.

The splices are open in the rafters of this home, increasing the risk for damage and possibly fire.