Fire and water damage restoration in Kansas City can take weeks or even months. Is your home as safe as it can be? House fires are particularly devastating because they can occur unexpectedly and cause catastrophic damage in very little time. Most homeowners know the dangers of cigarettes, candles, and other open flames. Are you just as aware of the most common sources of electrical fires?
Water Damage Restoration in Kansas City #1 – Circuit Overloading
The electrical circuits in your home are designed to safely handle a limited amount of current––typically measured in amps. Appliances that draw larger amounts of current should be separated on independent circuits. Electric stoves, clothes dryers, dishwashers, and HVAC systems typically have dedicated circuits and circuit breakers.
Water Damage Restoration in Kansas City #2 – Faulty Electrical Outlets
The electrical outlets in your home are typically rated to a maximum of 15 amps. Some appliances, like space heaters, may draw more than 20 amps––especially if damaged. If a 15-amp outlet is improperly installed or used to power an appliance drawing more than 15amps, it may incur damage. Damaged outlets can produce short circuits or abnormally high resistance in the circuit, which can, consequently, cause fires.
Are you searching for a commercial restoration company in Kansas City? Call us today!
Water Damage Restoration in Kansas City #3 – Old Wiring
Older homes often have wiring not suited to the electrical demands of modern appliances. Undersized wires, poor connections, and improperly rated breakers can cause sparks or overheated wires. Both are dangerous.
Water Damage Restoration in Kansas City #4 – Oversized Circuit Breakers
Your home appliances with large electrical demands should be on dedicated breakers sized specifically to the amount of current they were designed to use. Sometimes an aging or damaged appliance begins to draw more current than it was designed to, and it overloads the circuit breaker causing it to trip repeatedly. Then, instead of repairing the appliance, the homeowner installs a larger circuit breaker. This may temporarily resolve the problem, but it may also be masking a more serious issue inside the appliance––and significantly increase the risk of fires.
#5 – Misuse of Extension Cords
There is a good reason that extension cords are sold in different sizes and lengths. Higher draw appliances require heavier gauge extension cords. If a user attempts to draw more current through an extension cord than it was designed to carry, it can overheat the entire circuit, including the extension cord. The heat generated inside the extension cord can cause a fire. An overheated extension cord can also melt the insulation around the wires and create a short circuit that may produce sparks.
Hopefully, your home will never catch fire, but if it does, we can help. We love helping people repair their homes and businesses. As a commercial restoration company in Kansas City, we can help you quickly get your home or office repaired after a fire or offer Kansas City fire and storm repair as needed. Whatever you need, we are here to help.
It’s Not Business; It’s Personal
Not all restoration companies in Kansas City are the same. We have the experience and training necessary to get your home back together.
The desire to help families recover from a disaster is the driving force behind Midwest Comfort Homes. We are not just another building restoration company in Kansas City; we are here to support you during this emotional time. We want to help you get back into your home as quickly as possible. Because we know better than most that this isn’t business, it’s personal.
Call us, and we can get your home back together again. We are a fully licensed restoration company offering water damage restoration in Kansas City with years of experience helping people like you.
MIDWEST COMFORT HOMES • 1100 SW 24th Street Court • Blue Springs, MO 64015